Spinach Strawberry Salad with Bacon and Poppyseed Dressing


It's Cheese, It's Bacon, It Can't ALL Be Bad for you, Right?


Every single time I tell someone that I have a blog called "For the Love of Cheese and Bacon" they say, "Oh my gosh.   Is the whole thing about cheese and bacon?"

My response is typically laden with sarcasm, because, well . . . it's a gift I have, the gift of sarcasm.

But typically my response goes something like this, "Ummm, yeah. Cheese. Bacon.  That's pretty much it."

And then I usually get some sort of a lecture telling me how bad both cheese AND bacon are for my body. (Sheesh, let a girl have a little comfort food every now and then, okay?)

I feel somewhat defensive about my love for cheese and bacon.  But yeah, I GET that it's not good for you all the time.  Moderation people.  Moderation.

To prove that it's not all bad for you, I am giving you one of my all time favorite salad recipes that contains both cheese and bacon.  So shut it.  (Did I mention I feel a little defensive?) :)

First, a picture to entice you. 



For The Love of Cheese and Bacon

Now, just a teeny weeny bit of history about this salad.  The dressing, I got from my friend, Mary's, grandma (whose name was also Mary)  It was the kind of dressing where you eat it and the first thing you say is, "Oh my gosh! You made this dressing from scratch? Can I please have the recipe?" and then you hold your breath because you're pretty sure they're going to tell you no.  But she said yes. Score (for both of us)!

The salad I sort of made-up because I had some stuff in the pantry, and I was hungry for something with strawberries and bacon in it.

Tada!  Birth of a salad.  Enjoy!


INGREDIENTS:


SALAD
  • 1/2 head romaine lettuce 4-6 cups baby spinach
  • 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
  • 1 box (small, but not snack size) golden raisins
  • 1/4 cup toasted almonds, chopped
  • 2 tbsps feta cheese
  • 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (make home-cooked bacon pieces.  I'll know if you don't, and it won't go well for you!)

DRESSING
  • 1/2 cup low fat yogurt  (Yes, before 12 people ask, you can use greek!)
  • 1/2 cup lite mayonnaise (I've gotta watch my figure girls!)
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • 1 teaspoon poppyseeds

DIRECTIONS:

Wash lettuce and spinach, dry,  then tear lettuce and spinach into bite-sized pieces. (If you don't have one of those salad spinner things, for love of easy, go get one!). 
Add your almonds and raisins into the lettuce and toss.  Top it all off with your strawberries, feta cheese and bacon pieces. 

To make the dressing, I'm going to get all technical on you, so prepare yourself.  Pour all ingredients into a small bowl and whisk it until it's as smooth as syrup. (speaking of syrup, I've always wondered what this salad would be like with a teeny weeny drizzle of maple syrup.  If you try it, let me know!) 

Now, drizzle (more like pour) salad dressing generously over your salad and serve immediately.
For the love of cheese and bacon, this is good!

ThatCarolJones

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome. I will try the dressing for sure sounds delicious. Yes for the salad. You think i could use a different fruit,i'm allergic to strawberries.
    Sue Carry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, you could replace the strawberries. Anything would be good. I'd go with either pineapple or blackberries!

      Delete