How To Cook Bacon That is Freaking Amazing


There are a few things you pretty much have to learn how to cook as a southern woman, and bacon is near the top of that list.  

But I gotta tell you, bacon is not easy to cook.  First you have the whole "hot popping grease thing" to contend with.  (I think it's bacon's way of getting even with you for eating it. Or maybe it's God's way of warning you NOT to eat it! HA!)

Then, (at least in my house) you have to contend with people's opinions about how their bacon gets cooked. (And trust me when I tell you, the people in my house have opinions about their bacon.)

So over the years, I have developed my own very special technique of cooking bacon.  It's all very involved and scientific, so you're going to have to follow my directions precisely.  


Start with fresh and completely thawed bacon.  It doesn't matter if your slices are thick or thin, whatever you like is fine.
I use this bacon because it's fairly thin sliced and cooks evenly.
And you've gotta have a splatter screen!


First, place the bacon in the skillet like so. Don't try to scrunch the bacon all up in the pan.  It's okay for it to hang over the edges a bit when you first start out. This helps prevent the  bacon from bubbling.
Notice how the bacon is hanging over the edge? Not a big deal.
If you keep following my directions, your bacon will be flat and crisp.


Then, cook bacon until it is almost done. Then remove the bacon from the skillet and lay it on a microwave safe plate with two pieces of paper towels covering the plate. Then cover that layer of bacon with one paper towel.
Notice that the bacon is not fully cooked, but it's close.
See how the ends  are a little curled up?
If your ends get too curly, simply cut them with a knife.



I'm showing you that the cooked bacon is getting layered
onto the plate.


Continue cooking bacon and layering/draining on plate.

Once all of your bacon is cooked, place a paper towel over the last layer and cook it in the microwave for one minute. Check the bacon.  (You will mostly likely need to cook it for one more minute.)

Let sit (outside the microwave) for another minute to finish cooking and crisping.

I would show you a picture of the finished product, but people ate it.  It was yummy, crispy and delicious.  Calorie Free.  (most of that is true.)

Now, the worst part, to me at least, about cooking bacon is the clean up of the grease! YUCK.  But here is the best tip for that. I take a piece of aluminum foil and stick it into a coffee cup, then pour the hot grease into the cup.



Make a "well" out of the foil to receive the hot grease!

Once it cools, you simply wrap up the foil and throw it in the trash. SO EASY!

Enjoy your perfectly cooked, crispy bacon!  And let me know how it turns out.

ThatCarolJones

5 comments:

  1. Nice Carol Jone, I do live crisp bacon.


    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't using a microwave cheating? There should be a rule about that. BUT since you said it's good, I'll try it. Once. There should be a rule about that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. It's not cheating Kimberly, it's brilliant!

      Delete
  3. Just wanted to pop back over and tell you this bacon recipe was incredible! I cannot tell you how many arguments I've had in my house over stupid rolled up bacon! Carol Jones, I love you. Thanks for this! - Jamie Jayce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, thank you! I'm glad I could ease your marital distress. HA!

    ReplyDelete